Export to CSV, CSV mapping

I am currently evaluating the SQL Data Generator 2, got a few questions regarding the CSV part.

1) It looks like there is no way to "generate into .csv file", correct?
That would be a "nice to have" feature. For example, it could ask me for a folder, then it would generate one .csv file per table.

2) Using CSV as data source - column mapping: I have a .csv file with header (header text = column name). When I select this csv file as data source, the generators of each column remain mapped to the
default SQL Type Generator - I would expect this automatically to be reassigned to the appropriate csv column. => This is close to a showstopper for me.

3) Even when I manually assign each column to a CSV Generator, anytime I reassign a different csv file (or even the same csv file), the column mapping is reset to a SQL Generator => this is definitely a showstopper.

=> Pls let me know whether I made a mistake here or it works "as designed"
=> When "as designed" I strongly recommend to change the behavior, pls let me know if / when you'd make such a change.

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Christian

I suspect that V2.0 has introduced a bug when using a csv file as a the generator source.

I have added this forum post to a Bug Report I submitted last week to bring this issue to the attention of the development team. The reference number for the bug report is SDG-964.

I will provide an update when I get further information.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,

Even iam facing the same problem as Christian. When i load data into a datbase from a csv file, i assign the columns of the database to the respective columns of that csv file and data generation done properly and i saved that project.

But, when i opened that project after few minutes, i couldn't see the assigned columns in the database table with csv file and they are showing the default generators which are given by the tool itself.

Is there any way to save that columns assigned or the tool has that property or not? Please find a solution for this problem sothat the next time when we want to generate data for the tables from a same csv file, it would help and can be done in few seconds.

Thanks
    Anil.