e-mail notifications

toad2898toad2898 Posts: 41
edited February 8, 2012 10:15AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I use SQL backup 6 to take full and tran log backups and copy them to a network location.

For both backups I have set the On completion action to email me for any outcome.

When the log is backed up I recieve e-mails to say that both the backup and the file copy have completed but when the database is backed up I only receive one e-mail to say that the backup has completed.

If I go to he network location I can see that the full backup has been copied across, so why isnt it telling me like it does for the log?

Thanks

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When SQL Backup copies backup files for full, differential, filegroup and file backups, the copying is performed as part of the backup task. Hence, the e-mail you receive notifying you that the backup has completed should also have a line indicating that the backup file has been successfully copied to its destination.

For transaction log backups, the copying is performed by a separate process, that runs independently of the backup. Hence, when the backup completes, an e-mail is sent. Details of the file that needs to be copied are placed in a queue, and when the file is eventually copied to its destination by the 'copying' process, another e-mail is sent.

The reason its done this way is that in log shipping scenarios, it is critical that the transaction log backup files gets copied to its destination one way or another. By having a separate process perform the copy, SQL Backup can make multiple attempts to copy the file, without blocking the backup process.

If you want SQL Backup to copy the transaction log backup files as part of the backup process, use the USESIMPLECOPY option e.g.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP LOG ... TO ... WITH USESIMPLECOPY"'

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • d'uh - of course it does, sorry.

I think there's a argument that databases backup copies should be a separate process too. It just as important to me that my backups are sent to a network location as it is they are stored locally.

thanks again