Options

DEP related backup failure on 3 similar databases

epetroepetro Posts: 69
edited February 3, 2012 10:19AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Last night we experienced 3 similar scenarios on seperate servers regarding DEP. While 'frowned' upon, we perform nightly backups directly across the network. We have been successfully running v6.5.1.9 for 2 weeks on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x64.

"To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program."
Name: SQL Backup Service Application
Publisher: Red Gate Software Ltd.

A quick search of the forums yielded little help. DEP issues existed once, but "were resolved" in 2007.

I'm not sure which log(s) are most useful, but I can post them if requested.(since the service stopped, the GUI doesn't register this backup)

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post, and sorry you're having a little trouble.

I've not heard of any DEP related issues recently- perhaps a windows update has triggered it?
    You should be able to exclude the SQL Backup engine from DEP by right-clicking "My Computer", selecting "Properties", going to the "Advanced" tab, then "Settings" (under Performance). The DEP tab in the screen that appears allows you to exclude the SQL Backup service.

I'm not sure if it will have produced any useful log information if Windows killed the process, although you may find more reasons as to why in the Windows event logs.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    We have extra variables in our environment for month end. I will likely have to chalk it up to a fluke. The event log was not very helpful and I can't find a reference to the backup log file. If it is an error in code(yours or ours), I am sure it will turn up again.

I'd prefer to have this record at least in case others are searching for the event.
  • Options
    No problem - if it's persistent let us know, but it's not a problem I've seen reported elsewhere recently.
    Hope it behaves going forwards!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software