DDBC TraceOn

ChrisYatesChrisYates Posts: 17 Bronze 5
edited January 15, 2013 11:19AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I was monitoring my prod boxes today and came across something interesting where it showed one of my developers having a DDBC TraceOn; in pulling back the app that was tied to the spid I noticed that the application was Red Gate SQL prompt......is this something when utilizing sql prompt that is done? I've heard and read on some other forums that when using the red gate sql compare utitility that this action occurs as well. Any thoughts or insight?
"Leadership Through Service"

Comments

• Thanks for your post. We do enable some trace flags, do you know which flags were being enabled?
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • The command it was running is DBCC TRACEON (3604). I do have a few additional questions if I may, the user only has data reader rights on that box; can you explain a little bit how it works behind the scenes and how it is able to turn on and off, also what are the shut off mechanisms when the tool is being used. When prompt is activated I assume by your statement that some trace flags are enabled; do they shut off once prompt is finished doing what it needs to do?
    "Leadership Through Service"
  • Yes, the flags go on and off, and you should be able to see this by reviewing a profiler trace.

3604 though is simply a command to output certain results to the console, i.e. SSMS, per the below link:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134354

HTH!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Can't believe this tool is flooding my SQL Server error logs with DBCC TraceON and DBCC TraceOff msgs. Is there some way to stop this from cluttering my error logs?