Options

Want to have option to trim Leading Spaces

vanramvanram Posts: 64
I just had a data compare that i needed to trim leading spaces as well as trailing spaces. Please could you add this option.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for your suggestion. I have created a Feature Request (SDC-1303) for our development team to take in to consideration.
  • Options
    Could you create a view that does the trimming and sync that back to the original table?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I agree that should work. This should have limited performance affect but would be another object in the DB to maintain...
  • Options
    So this is a regular use case rather than a one off? Can I ask why you are ending up with unwanted spaces in your fields?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I am not sure how frequent this issue will be.

This comes about due to the source being a field coming from our ERP system (AS400) that is a concatenated string, we do now know how the spaces at the begining of this field come to be included.
  • Options
    We have had customers who have trailing spaces in their data (and therefore we have an option in the tool to trim these), but I think you're the first to have leading spaces. I guess my advice would be to try to fix the problem at the source, or to use the View suggestion if it's an infrequent occurrence.

If we get further requests for this, it's something we would definitely consider adding as an option.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Fair enough, thx