Offset from integer

tilo23tilo23 Posts: 27
May I create offset from an integer value (just as I can do this for datetime)? Currently I use trigger to update a row after insert, but maybe there is a better way?
Inside the Dilbert's world

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

If you just want to add a set number to another number in an int field, maybe just choosing the right generator, using a custom generator, or a python generator will do the trick. Provided you don't want to add two numbers from two columns in the same table. That's still a problem for SDG. If you can be a bit more specific I can give some advice about how to do it.
  • Assuming I've got Column1 of integer type, I'd like the Column2 to be in range +1 to +100 in accordance to Column1. i.e.
    Column1 Column2
    20 76
    150 151
    6540 6602
    etc.
    Hi,

Unfortunately this sort of thing is not possible at the moment, but lots of people have requested that SDG be able to extrapolate values from newly-generated data in the same column.
    Ben's done a plugin for SDG that will allow you to do this, but I'm not sure it will work in v2:
    http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/.net- ... generator/
    SQL Data Generator v2 has Python script embedded in it, but the config object only seems to pass data from the column that is currently being generated and you don't have access to other columns. Not sure why it has this shortcoming...
  • Exactly. I have spent some time looking at possible python scripts usage and I miss some functionalities...
    I will be evaluating the IronRuby generator in the next couple of days - will let you know if that works.
    Thanks for the reply anyway.
  • I know you don't support the IronRuby stuff - but could you provide me the step-by-step instruction of how to deploy Ben's generator into SDG? Which files need to be copy and where? I have 2.0.1.6 version.
    Usually you just drop a custom generator dll into the SDG program files folder. SDG should reflect the namespace in the DLL and if it's correct, add it to a list of generators you can use. However, it may need to be recompiled for v2 if it doesn't work. Sadly, the SDG team chose not to document any of this, so I don't know exactly how it's meant to work.
  • When all the dll copied into SDG folder it results in a crash on generators' list open :-(
    If you ever decide to adjust the generator for the SDG 2 - please post it somewhere. It looks like a really powerful iprovement towards complicated data validity. Would save my time on writing trigger and update scripts and running several projects...
    I'm emailing you a new build of IronRuby generator. Extract it to your "Generators" folder - seems to work for me on v2.
  • Just to let you know: the Ruby generator is great and solves plenty of my issues :-) Thanks a lot for all the support! You should definitely include this in the next SDG version.
  • I'm emailing you a new build of IronRuby generator. Extract it to your "Generators" folder - seems to work for me on v2.
    Brian, any chance of posting this for others to use? Sounds like it worked great for tilo23.
    Thanks, Chris
  • I put it here, but it probably needs a rebuild as the custom generators have to be custom-built for every SQL Data Generator version.
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... .0.1.6.zip