Upgrading SQL instance containing compressed databases

epetroepetro Posts: 69
edited January 9, 2012 10:42AM in SQL Storage Compress 6
Looks like I will be upgrading an instance of SQL 2005 from SP3 CU10 to SP4 CU3 tomorrow morning.

Unlikely, but if someone sees this between now and then and has information to issues/resolutions/workarounds that they have experienced or discussed, please add to this thread.

I will probably play it safe and take the databases OFFLINE and bring them back ONLINE individually after a final reboot.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,
    Thank you for your post into the forum and for alerting to me to the fact that we have no Knowledge Base articles giving advice on the actions required on upgrading SQL Server instances when you have compressed database's configured.

Your proposed action of taking the databases off-line and bringing them back on-line after the final re-boot is the best course of action.

We have a KB article on upgrading SQL Storage Compress that recommends this action when upgrading SQL Storage Compress when compressed databases are already present or in-use, which can be viewed using this LINK.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • The upgrade to SP4 was successful.
    I had SQL related issues with CU3, completely unrelated to Redgate...so I ditched that plan and am comfortable on SP4.

The databases actually came back ONLINE faster than expected.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Excellent news that your upgrade was successful.

With the release of SQL Storeage Compress V6 / HyperBac Components V5.4.1.5, improvements were made to increase the performance and reliability when bringing databases back on line. Good to hear that these improvements worked out for you.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com