Options

Getting Proper user to appear in Changed By column

TetonSigTetonSig Posts: 27
We have a team of 10 SQL Developers making changes to a shared database linked to SQL Source Control. Sometmies the Changed By field on the Commit Changes tab will be Unknown and sometimes it will show the Windows login of the person who made the change.

Are there any best practices that will help ensure that field is filled in as much as possible? i.e. do a DROP/CREATE instead of an ALTER, do/don't use the SSMS Designer versus t-SQL scripts.

Comments

• Options
    csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

We use information in the the Default Trace to determine the value in the Changed By column. When you see an 'Unknown' value in that column it is because the database's Default Trace has filled up and has been rolled-over.

We are currently working on a fix to reduce the frequency of the Unknown issue. When we have completed that fix, would you be interested in trying out a build to see it this resolves the problem?

Also, we can put your name on our Early Access Build list, so that you get a chance to try any further improvements before they are released. Would you like me to add you to that list?

In the meantime, we believe that reducing the frequency of SQL Source Control's database polling (which contributes to the rolling-over of the default trace) will make the Unknown issue less common. For information on changing the frequency of polling see - http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=12837.

I hope this helps.
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Definitely would be interested in trying out the fix and please do put me on the Early Access Build list. Everyone is very happy with our new process and we're just trying to wring the inefficiencies in our process out.

Thanks for the quick reply!
  • Options
    csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

An Early Access Release of SQL Source Control v3.1 is now available that includes a solution to the 'Changed by = Unknown' problem.

For more details, and a download link, please see:
    http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=15345

Thanks,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software