Permissions problem - Warning 200

DanMoranDanMoran Posts: 14
edited December 15, 2011 1:15AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
My server is fairly locked down; it caused problems on installation. Now it's causing problems on backup -- I'm failing to backup to the directory I'm aiming at, with the error:

Warning 200: Error creating backup file ...
Warning: System Error 5 (Access is denied)

I installed the app using using the SQL Server login account. This is the code that's failing:

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup
'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [DanTest] TO DISK = ''f:\db\backup\<AUTO>.sqb''
WITH DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 30, DISKRETRYCOUNT = 10, THREADCOUNT = 15"'

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Does the SQL Backup Agent service startup account have rights to read and write to the "f:\db\backup\" folder?

What is the result when you run the following:
    EXEC master..sqbutility 999, 'RWE', 'f:\db\backup\'

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Two scenarios -- when I explicitly grant the startup account full rights to the backup folder, I get:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:1:

When I grant full rights to the group "sql users" and add the startup account to that group, I get:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:0:Insufficient rights to read folder : The operation completed successfully. Insufficient rights to create files : Cannot create file "f:\db\backup\sql backup test 20110505110029228.txt". Access is denied.

It appears my group level permissions aren't persisting through to the startup account ...
    When permission was explicitly granted to the startup account, were you able to run a backup successfully?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I have a similar issue. When I run the sqbutility command this is the output.

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:0:Insufficient rights to read folder : The operation completed successfully. Insufficient rights to create files : Cannot create file "\\NAS\<share>\not displayed for security purposes". Access is denied.

I have verified with out network administrators that the service account has full control permissions to the destination.

Thanks,
    Greg
    A simple test is to grant 'Everyone' full read-write access to that network share, and run the test. If SQL Backup is able to access that folder, then it's still a permissions issue on that share in relation to the SQL Backup Agent service account.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software