Collect historical data for offline viewing

dbarbondbarbon Posts: 3
edited February 2, 2012 4:38AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi all members, this is my first post.
I bought SQL Monitor 2.3 and I installed it on a customer's production server.
I want to backup the RedGateMonitor db on regular basis (prior of data purging) , transfer it to my server and analyze historical data offline.

Is it possible ? How to achieve this target?
Thanks.

Comments

• Hi,

The SQL Monitor repository is no different to any other SQL Server database. As such, any method for database replication will probably do (mirroring, replication, log shipping).

Our SQL Backup product allows you to set up log shipping with ease, so if they have a licence you have a quick win.

The data purging will mean that replicated or mirror DBs lose data over time. If this is unacceptable, then I'd just recommend taking full backups and restoring them when you want to analyse the time period that backup relates to.

As for the actual analysis, you can install SQL Monitor locally and point it at the restored database. To prevent it from modifying your copy, it is essential that you configure your local copy of SQL Monitor to be in 'slave mode' (=read only). Details of this I can email you, if that's what you want to do: robin.anderson@red-gate.com.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Hi Robin, thanks for your response.
    As for the actual analysis, you can install SQL Monitor locally and point it at the restored database. To prevent it from modifying your copy, it is essential that you configure your local copy of SQL Monitor to be in 'slave mode' (=read only). Details of this I can email you, if that's what you want to do: robin.anderson@red-gate.com.

Yes, this is exactly what I want; can you send a mail with details at dbarbon@olicom.eu ?

Thanks again.
  • Emailed.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Hi

Just purchased some Production and Development licenses of SQL Monitor and would like to be able to provide Read Only access to developers. Under these licenses would I be able to into the web element twice once to DBA use and once in 'slave mode' for read only access for developers? If so how would I acheive this?

Thanks
  • Hi,

Please get in touch via email and I'll provide details: robin.anderson@red-gate.com.

Note that slave mode was designed for our public facing demo, rather than for customer use, and will display marketing messages.

We will be releasing version 3.0 at some point over the next few months and one of the features will the addition of user roles, including a read-only role.

You won't have to use up a licence if you want a second SQL Monitor web server running in slave mode.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software