Input string was not in a correct format

I'm just trying SSC for the first time, and I get this error when I try to commit changes:

RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SqlCompareException: Input string was not in a correct format. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseDecimal(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.ASTParser.Syntax.Expressions.Constant.get_DecimalValue()
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ReadScriptAnalysis.#IIh(Parameter param, ProcedureParameter parameter)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ReadScriptAnalysis.#GIh(Element currentNode)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ReadScriptAnalysis.#SHh(AST node)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ReadScriptAnalysis.#SHh(AST node)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ReadScriptAnalysis.VisitNode(Element node, AnalysisProvider`1 provider)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Rewriter.Analysis.Analyser`1.#hbh(Element root)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Rewriter.Analysis.Analyser`1.#vbh(Object o)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Rewriter.Analysis.Analyser`1.#KPz(Exception exception)
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Rewriter.Analysis.Analyser`1.WaitForBackgroundThread()
at #Eyg.#Gyg.#CGh(FileInfo file)
at #Eyg.#Gyg.#vl()
at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database.Register(String path, ScriptDatabaseInformation dbinfo, Options options)
at #qlhb.#L3c.#y24.#nKcb()
at #GWeb.#7Jf.#gKf(Action )
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at #GWeb.#7Jf.#gKf(Action )
at #GWeb.#7Jf.#z21.#rkW()
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SharedUtilsUtils.DoActionWithCancel(ICancellableOperationStatus status, ICancellable cancellable, Action action)
at #GWeb.#7Jf.#jKf(ICancellableOperationStatus , ICancellable , Action )
at #qlhb.#L3c.#l36(String , #x36 , ICancellableOperationStatus )
at #qlhb.#K3c.#83c(String , #O9U , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
at #qlhb.#L3c.#f6c(String , ScriptDatabaseInformation , Options , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
at #GWeb.#WXM.#f6c(String )
at #GWeb.#WXM.#I0db()
at #GWeb.#Wheb.#tieb(Func`1 )
at #GWeb.#WXM.#YtV()
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.CancellableUtils.#y21.#RKc()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at System.Action.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.CancellableUtils.DoInParallel(ICancellableOperationStatus status, Pair`2[] labelledActions)
at #GWeb.#WXM.#rYM()
at #GWeb.#WXM.#qYM()
at #GWeb.#XXM.#iS()
at #qlhb.#0heb.#l36(String , #1heb , ICancellableOperationStatus )
at #qlhb.#K3c.#83c(String , #O9U , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
at #qlhb.#0heb.#wieb(#L3c , #ZZ7 , #A57 , #tEc , IObjectExplorerStateService , #xHR , #9ynb , #4Ec , #j3l , Options , #quBb , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
at #GWeb.#VXM.#mYM[#NrPb](Func`2 , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks , IDifferenceSelector )
at #GWeb.#VXM.#jYM(ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks , IDifferenceSelector )
at #GWeb.#4Ec.#7Jc(ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks , IDifferenceSelector )
at #GWeb.#4Ec.#u36.#ofA(ICancellableOperationStatus )
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.MutexedCancellableOperation`1.#u36.#k5f()
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.CancellableOperationBase.InvokeWithTracker(Action action)
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.MutexedCancellableOperation`1.Invoke()
at #eEc.#Qlg.Invoke()
at #JLc.#PLc.#Jfb.#EJf()
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SmartAssembly.ExceptionReporting.ErrorReporterBase.Do(Action , Predicate`1 , Boolean )
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SmartAssembly.ExceptionReporting.ErrorReporterBase.DoWithObviousExceptionsRethrowAll(Action action)
at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.CommonUI.Forms.ErrorDialog.DoWithObviousExceptionsRethrowAll(Action action)
at #JLc.#PLc.#CTc(ICancellableOperation`1 , Object )

Comments

• Thanks for your post, and sorry you've encountered an error.

Did the error occur on a specific file? If possible, can you submit the error report to us using the link in the dialog box, enclosing your email address? This should hopefully give us a little more information regarding the problem so we can pinpoint the cause.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Hi, I just submitted the error. Please contact me if there's anything else I can do to expedite your investigation.

Cheers,

Chris
  • Thanks for that. I've found some information in the error report that should help, and I've mailed you the details directly.

In short, it looks like a bug we thought we'd fixed has perhaps re-appeared, but let me know how you get on with the email I've sent you!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Thanks for that. I've found some information in the error report that should help, and I've mailed you the details directly.

In short, it looks like a bug we thought we'd fixed has perhaps re-appeared, but let me know how you get on with the email I've sent you!

I have had the exact same problem, and after some investigations (with red gate compare), I found a stored procedure with a default parameter ( @a numeric(38,8) = 5e7 ) and when I changed the value to 0 (in the repository version of the procedure) the problem was solved.

If you experience the same problem, try to use Red-Gate compare to find the code that causes the issue. The bug in Red-Gate compare will fail when trying to compare the procedure and then you can see the failing procedure.