EMail Notifications Possible?

StucatzStucatz Posts: 4
Hi,

I love the source control component and use it daily. Just curious if there exists the functionality to receive emails detailing database objects that have yet to be checked into Team Foundation at the end of the day?

In our company, sometimes our developers forget to check in their changes and this would resolve that.

Thanks,
Stucatz

Comments

• This isn't built into the product, but I imagine it would be straightforward to write a Powershell script and run a scheduled task (or Agent job) to kick off tf.exe to grab what's in source control, SQL Compare Pro command line to compare this with the development database, to alert you when there are differences, and to attach a difference report.

Are you comfortable with Powershell and the SQL Compare command line? If not, it's something we could help you set up.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. Unfortunately, we didn't purchase SQL Compare. Could you recommend another option?

Thanks,
    Stucatz
  • That's the only option I can think of. You need some way of comparing the dev DB against what's in source control and SQL Compare Pro seems like the ideal tool for the job.

Do you have a method to identify application code changes that haven't been checked into TFS?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Not off the top of my head. Maybe I'll look into Visual Studio 2010, see if there is something there I could use.

Thanks for the help Dave!