Options

SQL Express not showing

CrispinHCrispinH Posts: 57
edited December 1, 2005 11:35AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I've created an instance of Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Virtual Machine with SQL Express (Sql Server 9.0.1399), but the latter isn't showing up in the server list in SQL Compare.

Is SQL Express supported?

Crispin

Comments

• Options
    Crispin,

It is supported. If you type in the name directly into the server list can you access it?
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Neil

Typed the name in without problems. Instant list of databases.

Thanks.

Crispin
  • Options
    I had no problem seeing my SQL Express instance listed in the drop down, could this be the usual firewall related problem?
  • Options
    Neil, Mike

I had a go at disabling the Windows Firewall and it made no difference to the listing (ie the local SQL Express was absent and remote instances of SQL Server 2000 were present).

Crispin
  • Options
    CrispinH wrote:
    Neil, Mike

I had a go at disabling the Windows Firewall and it made no difference to the listing (ie the local SQL Express was absent and remote instances of SQL Server 2000 were present).

Crispin

Crispin,
    is your SQL Server Browser service running? This is usually required for non default instances and is disabled by default on 2005.

Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Options
    Crispin,

Another thing to check is the SQL Server surface area configuration.
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    I've now worked out how to do it - it was a combination of the suggestions above.

The SQL Server Browser Service has to be running and then a Firewall exception created for sqlbrowser.exe.

Presumably the service status could be detected as the application starts. Under no circumstances should there be a modal dialogue box, maybe just something on the project dialogue to start the service if local SQL Server Express instances are required. It's on this box that one's eye will be concentrating, so that's probably the best place for it (rather than the toolbar).

The firewall could be modified on installation (with the approval of the user of course).

Crispin
This discussion has been closed.