Newbie Problem - Random Extended Properties Change

catfood49catfood49 Posts: 18
I am using Shared Database Development with Subversion

I have only just started using SQL Source Control and have come across something strange.

I have linked one of my databases to source control and am trying this over 2 PCs. Without making any changes to the database, when I click on Commit Changes, SQL Source Control returns a change to one of my views to do with Extended Properties (a change I have not made). The Changed By value is 'Unknown'.

Why would SQL Srouce Control be reporting on a change I have not made to do with Extended Properties?

Thanks.

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

In the differences viewer, is there actually a difference in extended properties between what exists in the DB and what exists in SVN?

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • yes there was but unfortuantely as this was a few days ago i can't remember what that change was, but it definitely wasn't anything I had done. I commited the change and as yet, the same problem hasn't come up again.
  • Ok, well maybe let us know if it happens again? Sounds odd, but it's going to be really tough to figure out what's happened without knowing the difference etc.

How does that sound?

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • sounds good to me.

really should have taken a note of the problem in detail but was in bit of a tight deadline. next time :D
  • my problem with extended properties has come up again.

A colleague of mine clicked on the Commit Changes button on one our of databases and was told a difference between the database and source control versions had been found. This once again related to a view that looks at a single table (that has not changed). Whilst I cannot be 1005 certain, it is highly unlikely anyone would have changed this view, esepcially as the view is little more complicated than a 'select * from '

The change between versions is below, with the change highlighted in red:

Database Version
    EXEC sp_addextendedproperty N'MS_DiagramPaneCount', 1, 'SCHEMA', N'dbo', 'VIEW', N'VIEW Customers Union', NULL, NULL
    GO

Source Control Version
    EXEC sp_addextendedproperty N'MS_DiagramPaneCount', NULL, 'SCHEMA', N'dbo', 'VIEW', N'VIEW Customers Union', NULL, NULL
    GO
  • Most odd. Are you able to send me a schema creation script of the DB to support@red-gate.com, quoting reference number F0054440?

Thanks!
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • dykesadykesa Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    Was there ever any resolution to this? I have recently run across this same issue. Thanks,

Alan
  • No there wasn't a resolution. With with business of Christmas coming up and a few other source control issues I didn't actually get round to sending a schema script over to Red Gate
  • dykesadykesa Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    Thanks for your fast reply. I don't know if this will help you or not but essentially I had one person who was using an older version of SQL Source Control (2.3 maybe?) and as soon as we got him upgraded to 3.0 (like I was using) the problem went away. Hope this helps.

Alan
  • Ah, excellent. That could well be our issue too as we had some users on earlier versions too.

Thanks for letting me know.