Choosing which Tables to add to source control

robnikkelrobnikkel Posts: 6
I'm new to SQL Source Control, but I currently haven't found any way to manually select which tables I actually want to source control. Looks like the only thing I can play with in terms of deciding what schema to source control is using the filtering tool.

The problem is that we have several dynamically created tables in our DB as we work with the application. We don't want these automatically detected and added to source control. If I have to setup filters, they would be numerous and cumbersome to maintain with the lack of RegEx support.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Please take a look at this SQL Source Control help ARTICLE.

The article explains how to use filters to exclude objects from source control.

Please reply to this post, if you need further assistance.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie,

I appreciate the link, but I've already played with the tool, and was hoping for some more advanced features for excluding/including schema. For example, regular expressions, or even the ability to manually decide whether a table is source controlled or not (check list). In the time being, we're going to have to change our DB to create dynamic tables in a schema we don't want source controlled and then put a filter to exclude tables contained in it.

Regards,

Rob
  • You don't have to commit the dynamic tables of course. They will show up on the commit tab, and you can deselect them so they aren't source controlled.
    One thing to be wary of is not committing them when they are required by relationships to other objects that you *are* source controlling; as this would cause trouble when another user "Gets Latest" due to dependencies missing.

If these dynamic tables are indeed standalone, then you may want to suggest more complex filtering over on our Uservoice forum where other users can vote up the request. The filtering in there at the moment is basically the same as you'd get in SQL Compare.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Rob - what sort of RegEx expression were you thinking you'd need to use?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software