Column Level Permission in SSC

Barry HBarry H Posts: 10
Hi,

We are in the process of evaluating SQL Source control and have come across an issue.

When linking our databases to SSC with a TFS backend, it seems to have a problem with view that have column level permissions, when commiting the changes to SSC, everythign appear to be ok however, when you refresh the commit changes window, those views reappear as a change.

Has anyone else experience this and is there a fix/ work around for it?

Barry

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

Column level permissions shouldn't cause any problems. Would you be able reply to the support ticket we've opened for you with the DDL for the problematic object?

Hopefully we can reproduce the problem and let you know what causing it.
    Chris
  • Hi,

This issue comes with column level permissions on a view. Code below

In the database it is:
    GRANT SELECT ([ColumnName]) ON [dbo].[vwViewName] TO [Role]

When you select the commit changes window you see this

GRANT SELECT ON  [dbo].[vwViewName] TO [Role]

It seems to be ignoring the column permissions and granting select on the whole object.

Apologies for replying through the forum, I couldn't workout how to get to the support ticket
    [/img]
  • Thanks for clarifying.

I've reproduced this and it seems to be a bug.

The issue is being looked at by the developers and is logged as SC-5144.

Sorry you've encountered this, but thanks for letting us know.
    Chris
  • Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem. Thx!
  • Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem. Thx!

It looks like it's currently scheduled for SQL Compare 10, which I would probably expect some time next year. We're still in the process of another 9.x release, so v10 doesn't have a release date yet.
    Chris
  • Is there a way to remove the pending change from the list under "Commit Changes"? It can be a little confusing.
  • It looks like it's currently scheduled for SQL Compare 10, which I would probably expect some time next year. We're still in the process of another 9.x release, so v10 doesn't have a release date yet.

The development team have had another look at this and decided to not make you wait until v10. There should be a fix for this is the next SQL Source Control EA release (current EA is 3.0.0.50).

You can get involved with the EA here
    Chris
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi,

New SQL Compare v9.5 and SQL Source Control 3.0 Beta builds are now availble that should resolve this issue!

Download it from here:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/entrypage/migration
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software