The operating system returned error 6 when running queries

kevine323kevine323 Posts: 58
edited April 3, 2012 1:23PM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
Every time I restore a native SQL backup using Virtual Backup I end up with an operating system error the next day after the restore. When the database is first restored, it works great and is easily queried, but after a day the database becomes unusable. This is on all databases restored using Virtual Restore, but all other databases restored natively (with mdf/ldf extensions rahter than vmdf/vld) work as they should. Any ideas?

Error message below:

The operating system returned error 6(The handle is invalid.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x00000000150000 in file 'C:\<Directory>\<FileName>.vmdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
Kevin Eckart
Database Administrator
USA Truck, Inc
Kevin.Eckart@usa-truck.com
http://kevine323.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Has the system been rebooted after the VR at some stage? Also are there any volumes on the system that may be unavailable between the time it worked and the time when it did not (eg USB volumes being removed)?
    Jeffrey Aven
    Product Management - HyperBac Technologies
    Red Gate Software
  • Thanks for the quick reply. There have been no reboots and no volumes on the server that have been removed. FYI: The VR log file is very large and shows quite a few CRC errors like below:
    19 Sep 11 13:52:13.443 CheckMtfBlock: FileRecord: 00000000293F7E40, Crc mismatch on firstCrcInfo->Offset: 0x0.
    Kevin Eckart
    Database Administrator
    USA Truck, Inc
    Kevin.Eckart@usa-truck.com
    http://kevine323.blogspot.com/
  • We will need to get this log file from you, we will make contact via support
    Jeffrey Aven
    Product Management - HyperBac Technologies
    Red Gate Software
  • I'm also seeing this issue. Same error message. No reboot, no changes. What was the outcome of your review? Is the database recoverable?