newer version of SQL Compare

yacovyacov Posts: 15 Bronze 2
Hello
i want to write Dll that comper two snapshot files .
to genarate the SNP files im using Redgate's free tool SQL Snapper
when i load the files with C#
CustomerDB.LoadFromDisk(@D:\bcp\YACOVR_SQLHASHAVIT.HashSQL.snp);

i get err "The database snapshot was saved by a newer version of SQL Compare"

please advice
Regards
yacov -R

Comments

• Hello Yacov,

I believe we have an existing support call about this that you submitted by email. Sounds like all you need to do is install the latest SQL Compare and grab the DLLs out of the installation folder. The SDK installation typically lags behind the rest of the Red Gate SQL Tools when it comes to releasing updates.
  • yacovyacov Posts: 15 Bronze 2
    Hello Brain
    How i Get the latest version of SQL Compare
    Regards yacov
    Regards
    yacov -R
  • Downloading the latest SQL Compare demo will get the binaries you need.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... l-compare/
    Hello Brian
    Thank you for answer ,do you mean that i need to buy new version of sql comper
    Regards
    yacov -R
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you're making snapshots from SQL Compare 9, you need the SQL Compare 9 binaries in the SDK to read it back. Problem is there is no v9 of the SDK, so you can't buy an upgrade at this point.

You may want to wait a few weeks until the SDK 9 upgrade is finished going through testing. There are a few problems at the moment with using the v9 binaries - first of all you have to get them from the SQL Data Compare distribution because SQL Compare is merging the engine into the executable and second, it's error-city when I try to compile the SQL Compare Engine code samples with the v9 engine.

Looks like it requires .NET 3.5 for a start, and also there are lots of compiler errors around the WriteToFile stuff: I would assume they've rearranged the API again there. If you want to give it a try with the SQL Data Compare version of engine, be my guest, but I don't have any answers at this point if your code doesn't compile any more.
    Hello Brain
    what i will do now ?
    do you have snaper ver 7 ?
    Regards
    yacov -R
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If it were me and I was using Snapper I'd just write my own version of snapper using the SDK. Creating a snapshot is just a matter of registering the database and calling SaveToDisk(). This will also save you the trouble of this happening again because the release of SDK lags behind the other tools.
    Hi Brian
    when i Do comper with two SNP files with comper.exe command line
    I get the good result 'i get the coperison file
    now i need work with sdk ,
    Regards
    yacov -R