SQL Search Addin failing to load

HeavenCoreHeavenCore Posts: 15
edited September 22, 2011 7:59AM in SQL Search Previous Versions
Hi all, i have been using SQL Search fine for years, however, i now have the following error when trying to load MSSMS:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
The Add-in 'SQL Search 1.0' failed to load or caused an exception.
Would you like to remove this Add-in?
If you choose yes, you will need to reinstall the Add-in to use it again.

Error Message: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error number: 80070002
Yes No

Any ideas?

I have tried a re-install, that did not seem to fix the problem.

Comments

• I'm having the same issue, did you ever find a resolution?
  • Afraid not m8, although i must admit i never spent much time on it - Quite often i have a gazillion scripts open etc, restarting MSSMS is a very rare event lol
  • It's really, really generic and you have to find out which file can't be loaded. I think most of the time it's Microsoft Extensibility DLL. But you can try enabling fusion logging and it may help.
    • Create a DWORD registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion\LogFailures and set it to 1
    • Create a string value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion\LogPath and set it to an existing directory
    • Launch SSMS and see if a log file pops up in the "default" subfolder of the LogPath.

This can tell you about the missing file, if it's a .NET mamanged assembly (like SQL Search's DLL).
  • Hi there I have the same issue

There are several assemblies the framework reports it cannot find:
    RedGate.Shared.Utils
    RedGate.SQLSearch.Loader
    RedGate.SSMSIP
    RedGate.SSMSIP.CommonUI
    RedGate.SSMSIP.Engine
    RedGate.SSMSIP.Loader
  • All these reports should say exactly what paths were being searched. You can make sure the assembies are there.

Also this is a half-solution -- the file may not be a .NET assembly. It may be a COM dll or something.
  • You may want to try running regasm against RedGate.SqlSearch.AddIn.dll. Could be that the object is registered with COM at the wrong file path or the registry is corrupt.
  • I think there is something else wrong here and the missing files are a result error.

SSMS is looking for these assemblies its program files folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE)

where as all the assemblies seem to be in C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\{25E61246-CE80-C48D-E730-2906DF476E0B}\Red Gate\SSMSIP\Source

I don't think that copying the missing assemblies into the SSMS folder is the correct solution here.
  • Er...
    It should be looking in the program files (or programdata Vista+) folder. SSMS does try to look for them in it's own trusted location, which you point out in the previous post. Maybe you should log binding success as well as failure so you can make sure the DLL is being loaded successfully and where from.

Mine loads from C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Search\Active\RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.dll
  • You should also make sure you're on this version. ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... .0.342.zip
  • aha thats it the files were missing from
    C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SSMSIP\Active\ when I put them in there it all started working.

thanks for the help there.