SQL Backup Pro - Read-Only Edition???

MattSMattS Posts: 25
edited September 20, 2011 9:57AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I would like to restore a backup taken from our production server (using SQL Backup Pro 6.5) on to our test server. Only our production server is licensed. SQL Backup was installed on our test server initially, but once we were happy with the install/configuration we moved the license to our production server.

Using the GUI, I am unable to complete the restore to our test server as it states there are licensing restrictions. It also states:

The Read-Only edition of SQL Backup enables you to restore SQL Backup (.sqb) files to the licensed server. This license prevents you from using SQL Backup to back up any databases on the server.

This is exactly what I need to do. I have no need to backup the databases on our test server using SQL Backup, I simply want to restore from the production backups.

How do I install/license the read-only edition?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi MattS,

Thank you for post into the forum.

I am assuming that you have already contacted the Red Gate Sales Team, sales@red-gate.com and purchased a SQL Backup Read-Only license.

There is no separate installer for the various editions of SQL Backup. Simply install SQL Backup Server Components on the server that requires the Read-Only license and then activate using the serial number provided.

I hope this answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks for your reply Eddie.

It answers one question and raises another!

I hadn't contacted the sales team, but purchasing another license (regardless of cost) isn't an option for us at the moment.

Is there any other way to restore an SQB file to an unlicensed server? As I mentioned previously, I am not looking to use any other SQL Backup functionality on our test server, I simply want to restore a backup from our production server.

Thanks for your help.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

To restore a *.sqb file to another, that does not have SQL Backup installed or licensed for SQL Backup, is to convert the backup file into a format that native SQL Server will understand.

There is a free utility for performing this that can be download using this LINK.

The conversion tool will create uncompressed backup file that uses the Microsoft Tape Format (MTF). Please note if you create *.sqb file using two or more threads, the conversion tool will create two or more files dependent upon the number of threads used to create the orignal *.sqb file.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks, I'll give that a go.