Options

Get Latest not working after initial linking to SVN database

AusarbAusarb Posts: 6
After linking to a newly created DB to SVN, the Get Latest tab isn't working as expected.

I created a DB and committed it to SVN just fine on my old Windows XP image. I then got a new Windows 7 image, create a new DB, link it to one in SVN that I created while on XP. Everything looks like it worked correctly. It does link the database, but when I click the Get Latest tab (or right click on the DB and say to do a get latest) it tells me that I'm current but I've got no tables or SP in my database.

Going to the "Commit Changes" tab shows all of the missing tables and SP's as pending drops. I can select all of them and do an "undo" and that action creates the tables but this obviously isn't the intended way to pull down a DB from SVN and that way doesn't work for getting linked static data. Did I miss something?!? It is a shared DB BTW....

I was following the instructions here.

SQL Source Control 2.2.1.23
SSMS 10.0.4064.0
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

Comments

• Options
    As you've chosen 'shared database', it is not expecting that more than one database will be linked to the same repository in source control, hence the unexpected behavior.

If you're looking to deploy a new database based on what's in source control, the supported method is to use SQL Compare to achieve this.

If you hope to develop on multiple databases pointing to the same source control location, you should consider selecting the 'dedicated' model for this.

Do let us know if you need further assistance,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Makes sense, thanks! I suppose that if your "shared" DB server ever bit the dust in order to restore it from SVN, you would create a new DB, link it as dedicated, pull down everything and then relink it as shared.