Options

SmartAssembly with Windows Azure Packaging

jenshjensh Posts: 4
edited September 6, 2011 2:52PM in SmartAssembly
Dear Support,

I am running the following post-build event in VS2010 in my Silverlight Azure app:

"C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SmartAssembly 6\SmartAssembly.com" /build <SAProjName.saproj> /output=$self

which works fine both from the command line and when clicking 'Rebuild' from within VS.

However, when I try to 'Package' the Azure role I get the following error:

The command <command specified above> exited with code 1

which prevents the Azure package from being created.

Any ideas how to get around this?

Thanks
Jens

Comments

• Options
    Note that because of the way the azure build magic works, simply obfuscating assemblies in the output directory isn't sufficient, you need to make sure the copies under /obj/ get replaced with obfuscated versions.

Please try that and see if it helps
    Thanks,
    James Davies
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    James,

Please could you clarify what you mean or, better still, post an example of how you have done this? The /obj/ directories on my machine do not contain the XAP file.

Thanks
    Jens
  • Options
    Sorry , I don't have an example. Only a some notes from a developer about using SmartAssembly with Azure.

The notes are:

We (SmartAssembly) can't open cspkg files. Making SA work on the assemblies before they're packaged is required. It's probably best to make SA part of your release build process.

Note that because of the way the azure build magic works, simply obfuscating assemblies in the output directory isn't sufficient, you need to make sure the copies under /obj/ get replaced with obfuscated versions.

I hope that makes more sense.
    Thanks,
    James Davies
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Any chance of asking the developer in question how they did it? I'm sure documentation around this issue would benefit other users or potential users of SmartAssembly.
  • Options
    "Making SA work on the assemblies before they're packaged is required. It's probably best to make SA part of your release build process. "

So you will need to create an msbuild script that runs smartassembly after build but before packaging. And that build script will also need to make sure the copies under /obj/ get replaced with obfuscated versions.

Here is a helpful article about using smartAssembly with msbuild

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 479859.htm
    Thanks,
    James Davies
    Red Gate Software