SQL Compare 9 crashes on launch due to DragDrop registration

mortenn@hapro.nomortenn@hapro.no Posts: 15 Bronze 1
edited September 7, 2011 3:22AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hello, I have reported this error a few times now, using the crash reporting tool that comes up, but I am getting a little impatient about a fix..

When I launch SQL Compare 9, I immediately get the red gate crash report window, where I click "Send Error Report".
Afterwards, I get the old Microsoft .NET Framework box with exception details and a Continue button.

This is the exception;

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: DragDrop registration did not succeed. ---> System.Threading.ThreadStateException: Current thread must be set to single thread apartment (STA) mode before OLE calls can be made. Ensure that your Main function has STAThreadAttribute marked on it.
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetAcceptDrops(Boolean accept)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I am running on Windows 7 x64

I can use the tool if I don't click the "Send Error Report" or "Cancel" buttons of the error reporting tool, so this is clearly not a critical exception.

-- Regards, Morten

▲
▲ ▲

Comments

• Sorry you're running into this, can you please try with the below build of SQL Compare and let me know how you get on:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... .0.282.zip

If this still fails, can you send the report in again and be sure to include your e-mail address?

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Unfortunately, it didn't help..

I thought it did, but it was only slightly delayed in crashing.

Same exception is shown by .NET:

System.InvalidOperationException: DragDrop registration did not succeed. ---> System.Threading.ThreadStateException: Current thread must be set to single thread apartment (STA) mode before OLE calls can be made. Ensure that your Main function has STAThreadAttribute marked on it.
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

// Regards, Morten
  • Ok, did it generate a report for you to send in for us, and if so did you send it in?

Thanks,

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Yes, and I did send the report, just like I have done several times in the past.

// Regards, Morten
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    From my perspective, looks like we don't get the error report because there is an error in the error reporting procedure. And around we go.

Because it's an initialization error, it is sometimes impossible to deliver a proper error because we need the program to be initialized before we can possibly do that.

I'll suggest to Pete that we should debug this and hopefully he or someone else will be in touch soon with some instructions.
  • Thank you,

I will be on vacation the next two weeks, but I will be able to log in remotely during that time to try things out.

// Regards, Morten
  • Just a follow up on this one, the antivirus software as preventing SQL Compare from connecting to other machines across the network.

AV software was re-configured, and SQL Compare then started working.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • It was blocking SQL Compare from listening on a local port, connecting to the SQL server wasn't blocked at all.

Thanks for the help figuring this one out!

// Cheers, Morten