SQL Backup V7

vanramvanram Posts: 64
edited August 12, 2011 2:23AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
The roadmap says V7 in Q4; what are the planned feature set for the new version. I did not see the link on the roadmap page. Where does one find this information?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What would you like to have in future versions of SQL Backup?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Bugs
    1) on restore it often forgets the path to restore to and restores the database in default "programs files" location on the c drive
    2) my team has a feature request - SB-4625 that we would like.
    3) when looking at the activity history of the txn log backup, the display takes too long? Not sure if it ever completes....
    UI improvements
    1) Prompt explicitly for SQL Instance.
    2) when SQL instance used show in the Tree Hierarchy levels: So Server group / server/ instance / database
    3) Add option to allow saving of the Server setup on the left hand side in a central database.
    4) Integrate convertion of SQL Backup to MS SQL Backup format into UI
    We currently do not use the UI due to missing features, but we would like to go back to the UI if these issues were addressed!!!
    1) Need to be able to define of copy backups to multiple remote locations from the UI
    2) Need to be able to set separate purge days for each remote backup
    3) need to be able to define pre & post commands from the UI. I need to run the optimizations scripts (we use the Ola H scripts)
    4) Need to be able to specify "LogTo" location via the UI and set purge days for it.
    5) The activity History should have Sub-Tabs to be able to show Local and all of the remote backup locations. Therefore no change for the user who only defines local....

Well, i hope you are not regretting asking....
    Please tell me which you will and will not do, so that i can start planning.
    Thanks for taking the time to compile that list.

I've informed the SQL Backup product/project managers of your feature requests/bugs encountered. I can't comment on any of the items you mentioned, except for SB-4625, as I am responsible only for the SQL Backup engine.

With regards to SB-4625, do you encounter this error frequently, or only occasionally? Would it be possible for you to implement a workaround for now i.e. restore the t-logs using the NORECOVERY option, and bring the database to STANDBY mode once all the t-logs have been restored?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • SB-4625; we have a work around, i would like to see a long term fix.

Please understand the issues #1-#4 of the 3rd section (requirements to use the SQL Backup UI) are the most important to me.
    Re SB-4625, at least in your case, the reason SQL Backup failed to disconnect the existing users is most likely because it look longer than 30 seconds to roll back all uncommitted transactions at the time you wanted to restore a new copy of your database.

You can use a longer timeout, by creating a 'CommandTimeout' DWORD value in the SQL Backup registry node (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>). Enter a value in seconds e.g. if you want to use a timeout value of 5 minutes, enter 300. Don't enter 0, as SQL Backup will simply revert to using 30 seconds as the timeout value.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software