Full backup fails

JamieAJamieA Posts: 12
edited August 11, 2011 4:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi, I just realised that my scheduled backup has failed. Forgive my numpty question but how do I determine what the cause of the failure was?

Comments

• Jamie,

What version of SQLBackup are you running?

if it is 6.0 or above I believe that the GUI will have a show log entry for each job that tries to run. If the messages don't show enough then the error number can be looked up on this site or in the help contents of the GUI.

HTH

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Please post the contents of the SQL Backup log for the failed backup.

The default folder where the logs are stored is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows 2003 and older, and C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows Vista and newer.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • A log file is not being created - it looks like the job isn't running as it should take 15 mins or so to back all the db's up.

Thanks for your help so far and apologies for my delay getting back.

J
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you then please use SSMS to check on the SQL Server Agent logs for the job that was supposed to have ran the backups?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I now see the problem, and it's a permissions issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

J