Licensing behind a firewell

scotty2012scotty2012 Posts: 4
I have activated my SQL Compare instance with the manual method, and it worked fine. I am now trying to activate using the information found here:
http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content?p=SQL%20Comparison%20SDK&c=SQL_Comparison_SDK/help/8.0/SDK_Licensing.htm&toc=SQL_Comparison_SDK/help/8.0/toc68944.htm

I've also tried with the machinehashutility.exe which seems to execute fine (after I added my proxy to machinehashutility.exe.config), but I still get prompted for the serial number when I build my project that uses the SQL Compare SDK. When I click 'Activate' the box just closes and then I get these errors:
Error	2	Exception occurred creating type 'RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine, Version=7.1.0.182, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Licensing.Client.resources, Version=2.7.0.6, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. Thesystem cannot find the file specified.	C:\source\enterprise\Development\Current\build\CustomBuildActivities\CustomBuildActivities\licenses.licx	1	CustomBuildActivities
Error	3	Exception occurred creating type 'RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession, RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine, Version=7.1.0.230, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\source\enterprise\Development\Current\lib\RedGate\RedGate.Licensing.Client.resources.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.	C:\source\enterprise\Development\Current\build\CustomBuildActivities\CustomBuildActivities\licenses.licx	2	CustomBuildActivities
[/url]

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Not finding the resources file is quite a common error with the SDK - a couple of things to try are:

- try building one of the sample applications, and activate that.
    - make sure your app isn't targetting the .NET 4 Client profile, instead, use the full one, or ideally 2 / 3.5

When it fails "correctly", you should still be able to then follow the manual activation procedure if necessary.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Hi James,
    I was able to build the SQL Compare example application with no problems, but it did not ask me to activate. I am using the .Net 4.0 framework in order to integrate with TFS.

I was able to get the licensing in my DLL done using this method:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000115.htm

But, when I try to actually use the dll, I get an exception with the message: "You do not have a valid license for the SQL Comparison SDK". But the server that is using SQL Compare has a valid licensed copy installed.