Greater than one thousand percent processor time

See the screen shot. ANT Performance Profiler 6.2 is reporting greater than 1000% Processor Time
waq2ax.jpg

Comments

• Are you trying to crack AES? ;))))
  • No but seriously, (and I've never agreed with this but ...) ANTS' "percentage" value is a function of the number of cores. How many cores do you have?
  • No but seriously, (and I've never agreed with this but ...) ANTS' "percentage" value is a function of the number of cores. How many cores do you have?

I have a basic Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 (i.e. 2 cores).
  • ANTS reports the same values here as perfmon would. Unfortunately, Microsoft's implementation of performance counters are glitchy and can produce out of range values like this. Normally it happens if they're read too frequently, but this can also happen at times of high system load.

The same effect will be visible in perfmon, but it's not as noticeable as perfmon overwrites previous data after a minute.

There's not a lot that ANTS can do about this: the most common glitch is to read too low, which can't be distinguished from a valid value. With some counters, like this one, it will 'make up' the 0 values with a large spike - note that the spike is in the middle of a series of values that are 0. The real value was probably constant at 100 over that time, and the performance counter has chosen glitchy values that wind up averaging out to about that over a longer period of time.
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.