Options

Need To Reliably Back Up Thousands of Databases Per Server

bspolarichbspolarich Posts: 2
edited July 27, 2011 10:48AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Pre-sales question. We have database servers that have thousands of databases per instance (1-4K depending on the server). We're seeing with our current backup tool (Idera) that randomly backups will stop processing, and we understand this to be a known issue with a number of backup tools.

Has anyone successfully used SQL Backup to backup servers with thousands of databases with complete reliability? We could also integrate this with our own backup scripts.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    and we understand this to be a known issue with a number of backup tools.
    Do you know what was the cause of the issue?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Not knowing the particular cause of the issues you're having, I'm using SQL Backup 6 on a SQL cluster which has 1100+ databases and growing, with no issues on the backup jobs.

I did have an issue with the GUI console timing out when it was refreshing the activity window during the initial deployment of SQL Backup 6. That was resolved with a patch. It's still pretty slow refreshing, well, slower than I would like, but it won't time out now.

With the backup jobs themselves, it's been smooth sailing so far.

The only thing I would like is for Red Gate to add a parameter so that if a differential or log backup on xyz database is not possible because there's not a full backup yet, it automatically switches the backup for that database to a full.

For the server I reference above, I use the 'USER DATABASES' parameter to backup everything, but if a new db is created in between fulls, I get annoying 'error' messages for the log or diff backups until I manually do a full backup of the offending database. Having SQL Backup handling this automatically via a parameter flag would be a plus.
  • Options
    Well, scratch that. Ever since upgrading to 6.5.1.9 this particular server no longer populates the activity history window when I open my SQL Backup GUI console. It just sits there with a green spinning circle and on the SQL server, the process id that is being executed show incrementing wait of type MSQL_XP.

So something is wrong. I have a ticket open with Red Gate but so far I'm not making progress.