Log shipping

pcorujopcorujo Posts: 14
edited June 22, 2011 3:48PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
HI All,

I am setting up log shipping from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 in order to migrate from a stand alone server on 2005 to a cluster on 2008 R2.

When I setup log shipping through the SSMS GUI records are logged in the table log_shipping_monitor_secondary. I typically use this table to be sure that the logs are being applied and copied properly.

Does Red Gate have a similar set of tables which I can use to monitor things?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,779 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The SQL Backup differs from the Microsft Log shipping solution. There is no Witness server and the restoring server does not copy the log backup file to be restored.

The Primary or Source log backup job is responsible for copying the log backup file to a network share. The Secondary or destination server then restores the log backup from the network share.

Therefore SQL Backup does not make use of this table, log_shipping_monitor_secondary

To manage the log shipping backup and restore you can use the SQLBackup GUI -> Activity History for each server.

You if you wish download a free tool from our labs web page called Log Shipping, which may help manage your log shipping configuration. Further details can be found using this LINK

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: [email protected]