RedGate Database disappears

gsc_ghxgsc_ghx Posts: 73
edited June 20, 2011 10:37AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We installed an additional cluster instance on a 5 node cluster. Today one of the dba's installed the server components for the new instance. Somehow the RedGate db for another instance disappeared. Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before? This was our 6th instance install on this cluster.

And how to I re-install \ restore this database?

Thanks

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    And how to I re-install \ restore this database?
    Stop and restart the SQL Backup Agent service/cluster resource.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • That worked...
    The only time SQL Backup deletes the local data store is when you ask it to, when you uninstall SQL Backup.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I am having this issue again.

I have stopped and restarted the service many times.

Then get the error again.

Error is: Failed to initialize local data store: File already exists. Try using a different database name......

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Geri
    We'll need to turn on tracing in the SQL Backup Agent service itself to troubleshoot this. Ensure that no SQL Backup processes are running. Since you are running a cluster, you should disable the SQL Backup Agent service first in the Cluster Administrator. Then stop the SQL Backup Agent service.

Open the registry, and look for the SQL Backup Agent service definition. For the default instance, this would be

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLBackupAgent

For a named instance, this would be

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLBackupAgent_<instance name>

- Look for the ImagePath value, and edit its data. Add -sqbdebug to the end of the startup parameter e.g.

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\(LOCAL)\SQBCoreService.exe ... -sqbdebug

Start the service, and enable it in the Cluster Administrator (if you're running a clustered instance). A log file named SQBCoreService_log.txt should be generated in the folder where SQBCoreService.exe is installed. Please send me that log file.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Peter - I found that the user the backup agent is running under did not have sufficient rights to the redgate folder. I have changed the backup agent user back to what it was prior to the update on Friday night. If I have this issue again and it is not user related - I will then turn debugging on.

Thank you so much for responding...

Geri