Error 775 Question

Randy DoubRandy Doub Posts: 26
edited June 15, 2011 8:44AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
From the help file: Error 775: Failed to open file to write LSN data. Another process might be locking this file: <value>
SQL Backup writes a header block to each backup file upon completion of the backup. In some cases, antivirus applications may lock the backup file immediately after creation, denying SQL Backup access.

So when I get this error the .sqb is no good? And if it were a log backup that got the message, my chain has been broken?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    A SQL Backup backup file contains a header block, followed by the actual compressed/encrypted backup data. The header block contains, among other details, the LSN values of the backup data. These values are only written upon completion of the backup, when they are known.
    So when I get this error the .sqb is no good?
    The backup file is still usable, it is only the LSN details that are missing.
    And if it were a log backup that got the message, my chain has been broken?
    The backup file is still usable. What you will not be able to do now is to restore a sequence of log backups automatically e.g.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE LOGS AdventureWorks FROM DISK = &#91;g:\backups\AdventureWorks_logs\*.sqb&#93;"'

as SQL Backup uses the LSN values to sort the backup files.

If you want to find out which application is locking the backup file, you can do the following:

- download Handle from Sysinternals
    - copy the executable file (handle.exe) to the folder where the SQL Backup Agent service (SQBCoreService.exe) is installed

Now when SQL Backup encounters a file locking error, it will use Handle to try to identify the locking application.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's the AV. It's ALWAYS the AV :wink: