IIS Broken - 0x8ffe2740

RossHRossH Posts: 5
Hi,,

Installed the software to a local machine. Tried to run it on one of my projects and i get the following:-

There was a problem starting the profiler. Error stopping IIS admn.

I load up IIS, sure enough the IIS server is stopped and i cannot restart it withut getting this error:-

0x8ffe2740

According to MS this is the default webstite port used by IIS, and something seems to be blocking it. I ran TCPView but cant find anything connecting on port 80. And before you ask yes my web server is installed on port 80.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Ross,

When ANTS Profiler tries to stop the IISADMIN service, does this action leave an entry behind in your application event log? If IISADMIN is completely disabled to the point of not being able to start again, you can try an IISRESET from a command prompt to get it started again.
  • It comes back up if I restart the service, but every time i try and start the ANTS Profiler again, it gives me the same message.

Heres a copy of what i get from the event log:-

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ANTS Profiler
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 22/11/2005
    Time: 11:12:32
    User: N/A
    Computer: EBIZ-ROSSH
    Description:
    Unable to start profiler - exception details System.Exception: Error stopping IISAdmin ---> System.Exception: Couldn't stop the 'W3SVC' service (1052)
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController._4(String )
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController._5()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController._5()
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String url)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfilingSession.StartProfiler()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.MethodInvoker.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
    at _3._4(IAsyncResult )

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Microsoft claim that this 1052 error means that the worker process has been recycled. Which would be pretty odd considering you've requested a shutdown!

On the other hand, maybe you have an instance of aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe that has hung up or can't be removed for some reason?

Maybe it would be best to reset your IIS first by running IISRESET before launching Profiler to clear up any worker processes that may be running?
  • This was on a fresh reboot of the computer in question.

IISRESET however is unable to restart the process.

I will investigate the codes left by IISRESET as it seems IIS is the root cause of the problem.

Thanks for suggesting it :)
    Maybe you need to stop IISADMIN, then restart all of the IIS services in order...
  • That fixed it.

Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.