Purging of encrypted backups

dhechledhechle Posts: 12
edited May 25, 2012 7:29AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am using Redgate SQL Backup 6.4 across all my SQL instances, these are all encrypted using 256 bit and are set to delete all backups older than 5 days.

As a policy in our organisation I have to change the password for the backups on a monthly basis which was done earlier this month. Problem I have is this morning my backup drive was full due to the job not purging any of the backups older than 5 days with the previous password, however any backups older than 5 days with the new password had been deleted.

Is this by design as it places another manual step of deleting backups with the old password when I have to do the password rotation?

regards,

Dave

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    This is by design. I'll raise a feature request to allow additional password(s) to be entered for the purpose of deleting old backup files.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi Petey,

I was wondering if the feature request you were going to raise below was ever done.

i.e. Does SQL Backup Pro 6.5 or 7.0 purge backups with a previous password?

thanks in advance,

Dave
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The reference number is SB-4653, if you need to reference the feature request in your correspondences with Red Gate. This issue is still under consideration, and has not been implemented yet.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8