IE crashes when starting ANTS

Hi There,

I've been using ANTS for profiling my .NET Framework 4.0 webapplication (just ported from 2.0 to 4.0).

While in VS2008 (on .NET 2.0) ANTS works perfect.
Now in VS2010 (on .NET 4.0) it is crashed always, except when we use
the "Sample Method-Level timings" profiling mode, but it won't report anything: it seems like he's losing his threat(s) (using the build-in webserver of vs2010).

The exception that i found is the System.AccessViolationException, and it was thrown by the System.Reflection-namespace. I cannot find how I found out that it was in the Reflection-namespace, but it was.

Is there a solution for this?

Regards

Donovan

Comments

• I have created a new WebApplication, without AJAX controls.

Only 1 page added, with a reference to a business object which return 2 objects. These are bind to a grid.

When Profiling, it seems like it's profiling the source of the webserver (see picture here: http://flic.kr/p/9yhxaq).

I can send my app if necessarry.

Regards

Donovan
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    It sounds like you're having that issue with AjaxControlToolkit. Deleting the PDB for that assembly usually fixes the problem.

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 20Profiler
  • Brian,

I've created a new webapplication without any reference to AJAX controls.
    It contains a page with a datagrid and retrieve it's data from a class, nothing more.

ANTS doesn't show anything from my application, only statements from the thread of the webserver. The result is exactly the same as my previous page: http://flic.kr/p/9yhxaq.

Hope you can find a solution for me for this problem.

Regards,

Donovan
  • I too am having a this issue. Steps to recreate:

VS 2008:
    File -> New -> Project
    Project Types: Select Visual C# -> Web
    Templates: Select ASP.NET Web Application
    (Name left as "WebApplication1")

After solution loads:
    Click ANTS -> Performance Profiler

Web server starts, IE starts, then "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" displays in IE, and the profiler stops the web server

ANTS Performance Profiler 6.2.0.13
    I can guarantee this does not happen on each and every web application. But is is pretty unreliable in general. I'd contact support directly.
    Donovan,

It looks like the website is being crashed by Profiler (very common) but we don't know why because the product doesn't have any feedback or logging in the core component that hooks into your application.

I will send instructions to debug the website via email.
  • I submitted a support request (F0046839). If a solution is found, please include me on its disclosure. Thank you.
    The outcome looks like a problem accessing a particular directory needed by a third-party component running in the website. I doubt anyone else would be having the same problem.