Feature request - integration (part 1)

oderksoderks Posts: 67 Bronze 2
edited March 31, 2011 10:40AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I often find myself acting upon the alerts, but not registering incidents (and thus not my actions/solutions/resolutions) in our registration system. I now am making an habit of registering such incidents only if I take action upon it.

But I'm now looking for a way to make life easier by haing alerts automatically registered. Wouldn't it just be great to save a lot of handling time by having the option to 'export' alerts?

My thought are the following:
- per alert per level have the option to tick on 'export'
- per alert specify a path\name (with autonumber) for export and define the possible field (of choice off course) to some format to be defined
Then we could pick up the files (xml or so) with the other system.

Another option would be for us to have the email contents self-defined with all available fields for that alert. We happen to have a system with a mail listener and it I could specifue the email contents, I could place all data I need for that system to pick it up. The first option sounds better to me, because it's a more generic solution for everyone.

Comments

• Hi

I've raised an enhancement request (ref SRP-3871) which will be considered for a future release.

I'm not sure how much detail you need to register for each alert but if your thinking of writing an automated system, it may be possible to get alert information directly from the SQL Monitor data repository.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • oderksoderks Posts: 67 Bronze 2
    Thanks, but that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid: scripting and running jobs to connect and collect stuff. I have a lot of that hopping around als SQL servers, databases and systems.

From my point of view: SQL Monitor generates the alert and has a nice GUI that will even be improved in the next version. Then why should I try do dive into the database myself and script a lot (and try to maintain it) to collect it to another system if the alert itself is adjustable?
  • Yes that makes total sense.

I've added the last comment to the enhancement request.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate