Options

Unable to connect to instance using DNS

nhartman83nhartman83 Posts: 3
edited July 25, 2011 5:47AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
For some reason I have two instances that when I try to connect to them via their DNS names, (server.domain.com\instance), I get an unreachable error stating that the network name was not found.

However connecting to the same instances via IP works, (10.10.10.100\instance). I have performed a nslookup on the web/sql monitor server and it comes back correctly, telling me that DNS is setup properly.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Hi nhartman,

We've seen this before. It's usually a problem with the NetBIOS/WINS name resolution rather than DNS. We're not sure what causes it but we've generally seen it on Windows 7 machines. Which OS are you using?

Restart the following services on the machine that is running the SQL Monitor base service.
      Server TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Netlogon Windows Management Instrumentation
    Let me know if you are still seeing the issue.

--
    Daniel
  • Options
    OS of Base monitor is Server 2008 R2 Standard. I restarted the services and the problem is still occurring.
  • Options
    Hi,

Sorry, I got that last post the wrong way round. Please restart those services on the host of the instance you are trying to monitor.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Options
    oderksoderks Posts: 67 Bronze 2
    You might also try adding the portnumber. Windows 7/Winodws 2008 tend to block 'external connections' where the port wasn't specified. I currently always specify portnumber due to such issues (servername\instance,portnumber)
  • Options
    wendoxinwendoxin Posts: 1
    edited June 19, 2011 7:39AM
    How does a DNS server force requests to go through it? I try using OpenDNS to filter my internet connection. Users can simply direct the computer to use my ISP's default DNS servers instead (through Network Connections in Control Panel). How do the pros make everything go through their DNS servers, even if the individual computers are supposed to go to other DNS servers?
    Hi Wedoxin,

It's a bit off topic, but if you want to force all your computers to use a certain DNS server then it sounds like group policy would do the job.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294785 for more information.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Options
    When setting up a dedicated mail server, how should I set up my DNS settings on the primary and new server? Concerning the mx record, that is already being managed by a 3rd party name service provider. It will not have to change since we are not getting a new external IP address. A representative from that company, though, said that some DNS settings will have to change on my end to make sure that mail is routed properly to the new server instead of the old (primary) server where we are currently set up using different mail server software.
    who loves you