SELECT permission denied

shuffshuff Posts: 21
edited March 25, 2011 10:19AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Starting with SQL Prompt 5 I keep getting a big pop-up error that says:

SELECT permission denied on object 'sysproperties', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.

Wanting to know if I want to report this too RedGate.

I have no idea why this is even needed since everything seem to work but the error keeps poping up and trying me crazy. My permissions haven't changed and things worked fine in previous versions.

Comments

• Hi shuff,

SQL Prompt looks for extended properties of objects so that it can display the full creation script in the popup window. It also uses the MS_Description extended property to display in the tooltip when you hover over an object's name.

If your user doesn't have permission to see the sysproperties table, then SQL Prompt 5 can't get hold of this information. Unfortunately this doesn't currently fail very gracefully, as you have noticed. It didn't work in SQL Prompt 4 either, but it failed silently rather than triggering the new error-reporting mechanism, and there weren't any other noticeable negative effects apart from incomplete creation scripts.

Thanks to users like you sending reports through to Red Gate, we can see that a number of you are experiencing this issue, which is logged in our system as SP-3549. This raises its priority and we hope to address it sometime soon.

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • Hopefully this is FIXED really soon as it's annoying as all get it. It pretty much makes the product totally UNUSABLE!!!!
  • Is there a way to turn off the error handling reporting system??? That way it would at least make the system usable for me.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    You can't disable error report submission in SQL Prompt. Someone in the SQL Prompt development team needs to make a code change in order to change the behavior of the error reporting.