memory problem with sqlmonitor service on alert detail

flhermitteflhermitte Posts: 4
edited March 17, 2011 3:50AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hello,

I have a problem when I click on the details of specific alerts, service sqlmonitor consumes lots of memory (more than 2GB of 4GB of server) and the detail page never appears. the problem does not appear especially on a particular type of warning but I am forced to restart the service sqlmonitor to resolve the problem.

Comments

• Hi

Which version of SQL Monitor are you running?

We had an issue in earlier versions where we were getting trace data during the alert details page load rather than later on when it was needed. If you are running a version lower than v2.2 (and maybe have trace turned on?) then upgrading to v2.2 would help.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • In fact, I forgot to mention my version: 2.2.0.260 and I also enabled the collection of evidence on Friday, we encountered this problem yesterday and off the tracks, but the problem seems to be still valid on alerts generated today.
    cordially
  • Hi

In version 2.2 we load the alert details page prior to getting the trace data so (in theory) if trace was causing the problem you should still see the details page appear. However, I'd still like to check what happens when trace is switched off before trying anything else.

Would you be able to switch trace off and then check to see if the issue still exists on new alerts? Also check to ensure that the base monitor service doesn't use excessive amounts of memory (more than 500MB say).

The alerts that should trigger a trace collection are Deadlock, Long-running query, Blocked process, Job failed and SQL Server Error Log entry. But it's worth double checking any other alerts that appear.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Hello,

Thank you for your follow-up, I opened my details of any alerts this morning for the days of yesterday and today, I no longer find the problem.

As a reminder, we disable the traces on Monday after the first problem, so far the tracks are not reactivated, we encountered the problem again Tuesday so we decided to contact you. but the problem does not occur more about the new warnings.

We have the impression that these were 2 or 3 alerts that are corrupted.

thank you