Find Invalid Objects - Timeouts

johndempseyjohndempsey Posts: 5
Hi,

Just installed v5. Every time I run this new functionality against our fairly large (3500 procs, 1000 tables ) database I get...
The following error occurred when trying to find invalid objects in the database:
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Just wondering what could cause this?
The database is sat on our corporate network and SQL Compare etc. always work flawlessly.

Would be great to get this running.

Thanks,

John.

Comments

• Just to add my vote for this issue and let you know John is not the only one seeing this. We have a few hundred tables and aprox. 2000 procs in our database. Is this something that we are doing wrong or is this not going to work on larger databases like ours?
  • Thank you both for your comments. We're not sure yet why this timeout occurs, but we're looking into it.

Regards,
    Paul Stephenson
    SQL Prompt Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • Has this been resolved yet?
  • Hi all,

Apologies for going dark on this one for so long.

The cause of the timeouts has now been identified. The Find Invalid Objects operation generates a query plan for each stored procedure in the database. If any one of these query plans takes more than 30 seconds then you will see the timeout error and no results.

For a quick fix, we will be increasing the timeout in SQL Prompt 5.1 to five minutes (unless popular opinion here prefers a different value). If you are impatient to use this feature then please email me at paul.stephenson@red-gate.com and I'll send you a private patch.

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
  • MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    For a quick fix, we will be increasing the timeout in SQL Prompt 5.1 to five minutes (unless popular opinion here prefers a different value). If you are impatient to use this feature then please email me at paul.stephenson@red-gate.com and I'll send you a private patch.

When do you think 5.1 will be released?
  • CodantiM wrote:
    When do you think 5.1 will be released?

We're aiming to release SQL Prompt 5.1 in April.

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson