SQL Prompt 5 causing extreme slow down

Sometimes I am waiting for 2 or 3 minutes for just a screen change. I found this in the log:
15 Feb 2011 15:08:50,888 [6] ERROR RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - LogService caught unhandled exception in AppDomain: 'Thread was being aborted.'
System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
at System.Threading.Thread.SleepInternal(Int32 millisecondsTimeout)
at v.a()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I have had to turn off SQL Prompt.

Version 5.0.1.7, SQL Server 2005

Comments

• I am also having extremely slow response times after upgrading SQL Prompt 4 to 5. I have to either disable SQL Prompt or close all tabs containing CTEs just to get my cursor to keep up.

Thanks,
    Traci

SQL Prompt 5.0.1.7
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2007.0100.1600.022 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1132.00 (xpsp.080413-0852)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3603
    Operating System 5.1.2600
  • I have been watching the log and I discovered an error involving decryption (I didn't have rights to some function involving decrypting).

So I turned off the option to "Decrypt encrypted objects". This improved the response time some, from SQL Prompt being unuseable to being very annoying.
  • Yes, we did discover after the release of SQL Prompt 5.0 that CTEs do make SQL Prompt perform very slowly. The developers have now produced a fix, which will be included in SQL Prompt 5.1.

I understand that doing CTE-intensive work is very difficult with the current version, so we've also backported the fix to SQL Prompt 5.0. It hasn’t been fully regression-tested, so we’re only telling people who have told us they’ve experienced this specific issue.

Please email me at paul.stephenson@red-gate.com if you're having problems with slow CTEs and I'll send you the link.

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • I downloaded the 5.0.2.1 version and used it extensively for a full day. The slow response problem is now gone.

Because I was not using any CTE in the code I was currently working on, I didn't expect the new version to fix my problem, but it did.

Thanks for fixing this.

Rick
  • CGLuttrellCGLuttrell Posts: 39 Bronze 1
    I have also experienced a dramatic slowdown and seen that error message in the log. I am glad this fix has solved Rick's problems, I will email Paul for the link and hope it solves mine as well.
    Thanks,
    Chris