Enhancement: Regex Filter on Deadlock Alert Configuration

SQL.DaveSQL.Dave Posts: 7
It would be helpful to filter deadlock alerts with regular expressions, in the same way RegEx can be used to filter long-running query alerts.

We have several third-party apps (which shall remain nameless) that run processes that, depending on timing, create deadlocks with other processes from the same applications. For obvious reasons, I'd like to keep deadlock alerts enabled for the servers on which the databases reside. It would also be really nice to filter out the recurring -- and really annoying -- deadlock alerts from the usual suspects.

Comments

• Hi

I've raised an enhancement request for this (ref: SRP-3285) to be considered for future versions.

Thanks for the feedback
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • RegEx filtering would be something extremely useful, especially with Long-Running Query alerts.

I'm finding those alerts annoying, so I've ended up having to disable them entirely (at the server scope) because there are commonly run queries executed from jobs that typically take a long time to complete.

I'm looking for exceptions to normal activity, and the way it works now isn't quite cutting it.
  • clyon wrote:
    RegEx filtering would be something extremely useful, especially with Long-Running Query alerts

Have you tried setting a regEx filter for the Long-Running Query alerts?

If you check the relevant alert settings page, we do allow users to set a filter based on either SQL process name or a SQL statement.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • clyon wrote:
    RegEx filtering would be something extremely useful, especially with Long-Running Query alerts

Have you tried setting a regEx filter for the Long-Running Query alerts?

If you check the relevant alert settings page, we do allow users to set a filter based on either SQL process name or a SQL statement.

Regards
    Chris

Oops, I guess I didn't see that before!
    Thanks Chris.
  • joejfjoejf Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    I just want to support the enhancement request for filtering of deadlock alerts. We also have 3rd party applications that encounter a lot of deadlocks. The databases for these 3rd party applications run on our production SQL Server, which also houses our in house SQL development. I need to be able to get alerts on deadlocks occurring in our own applications and not have them lost in all of the deadlocks from 3rd party applications. One of the things I was really looking forward to in SQL Monitor was the ability to configure alerts on a database level. It makes sense that deadlocks are reported at an instance level. So, filtering is a must have!
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve added this to the existing enhancement request (SRP-3285) on adding RegEx filtering to deadlock alerts.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your additional comments, but did you know that it is possible to configure the six database-specific alerts at the database level? Once the database is selected from the Monitored servers list, the alert types relevant to that object are listed and can be customized accordingly. We’ve documented this under Configuring alert settings in the Customizing alerts help topic: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content?p=SQL%20Monitor&c=SQL_Monitor/help/2.2/SM_CustomizingAlerts.htm&toc=SQL_Monitor/help/2.2/toc1402820.htm.

Regards,

Catherine
  • joejfjoejf Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your additional comments, but did you know that it is possible to configure the six database-specific alerts at the database level?

Yes, I knew about the database specific alerts. The problem is that deadlocks are not database specific. So, filtering is a must. Thanks for the quick response.

Joe
  • mschiermschier Posts: 14 New member
    What is the current state?