~~~URGENT~~~ internal connection fatal error

masterbakermasterbaker Posts: 19
hi,

I have this err msg "internal connection fatal error" when I try to compare one of the tables between two dbs. So, I compare two same dbs, it turned out the dev db has problems.......when I compare same db on pdn server, it is okay.

Even I installed SQL Data Compare on the server then compare that table against each other, I still get that msg.....

right now, I can not make changes to our pdn sever....please help....thanks

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello there,

There isn't an easy answer to this one. The error simply tells you that the connection to the SQL Server has been terminated in mid-stream. I'd suggest trying to force the connection to use TCP first because of the notorious unreliability of named pipes. You can do this by typing the protocol into the server box manually followed by the server's IP address like this:
    TCP:127.0.0.1
    where 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of your server. If you don't know that, you can ping the server name from the command line.

Hopefully this helps.
  • I read other posts, I have tried using IP instead of server name. But I am still getting that error, are there any directions that I need to look into?? thanks
    Yes -- it's not just the IP address that's important -- it's the TCP part as well. You could also try an alias that uses TCP/IP and connect through that.
    I've also run across some articles that hint that TCP/IP should be the first protocol in the list for the Server. Please reference the Microsoft KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328383/ for more information.

In SQL 2005, it is easier to rearrange the protocol order through the Computer Management snap-in on the Control Panel. In SQL 2000, you need to manipulate the server's registry as it says in the KB article.

Because ADO .NET automatically selects a network library, it quite often chooses named pipes, which have a bit more complexity than TCP/IP, causing all manner of strange problems.
This discussion has been closed.