Options

Command line error in 8.50.25.47 but not in GUI

Adrian DawsonAdrian Dawson Posts: 5
Hi, have a ‘mystery’ problem with the command line.

If I run the following from a command prompt:
C:\Documents and Settings\adrianda>"C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 8\SQLDataCompare"/project:"D:\NDW\test1.sdc"

It writes the following to the console:
Registering databases
Mapping
Comparing databases
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If I run the same project in the GUI environment it functions correctly.

The following outlines steps I’ve take to try and isolate (unsuccessfully) the problem:
• The above project has been re-created from scratch and only looks to compare a single object in an attempt to narrow down the problem
• I’ve copied the same project to another machine with RedGate installed, where it will run correctly in the GUI AND command line
• I’ve done various other tests to eliminate permission and related problems

My current thoughts are it must be an environment difference. What do I need to do to resolve the issue?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post.

Have you tried reinstalling SQL Data Compare? If it works on another machine, then as you suspect, it must be environmental.

I would also suggest trying the patch version available here
    Chris
  • Options
    Thanks Chris. We reinstalled last week and I applied the patch prior to posting on the forum (as per the version number in my subject line). There are a number of other RedGate packages which are on this server and run sucessfully; so I'm not sure what a re-install with achieve?

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Not any good ones....

Do you get the same problem if you use the command line switches rather than calling a project file? e.g.

C:\Documents and Settings\adrianda>"C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 8\SQLDataCompare"/db1:SourceDb /db2:Targetdb
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris, same error, see DOS screenscrape below.

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 8>sqldatacompare /db1:SouthComm_Syste
    m /db2:NDW_Reporting /v
    Red Gate SQL Data Compare Command Line Utility V8.50.25.47
    ==============================================================================
    Copyright © Red Gate Software Ltd 1999-2010

Serial Number: 507-001-087456-0310

Comparing database (local).SouthComm_System with database (local).NDW_Reporting.
    Registering databases
    Mapping
    Comparing databases
    Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 8>
  • Options
    Hi, uninstalling to downgrade to 8.1.1.33 now has our projects running again. I guess we'll wait for a new patch before moving forward again.