Upgrade and move SQL Response 1.3 to SQL Monitor 2.x

BrandonGalderisiBrandonGalderisi Posts: 22
edited January 19, 2011 12:13PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
We have just stood up a dedicated monitoring box that we want to move SQL Monitor on. We are currently using SQL Response 1.3 on a different box. I want to upgrade and retain history contained on our old monitoring box. I have looked for installation documentation for this scenario but did not find any.

Please advise.

Comments

• Hi,

Unfortunately, Sql Response alert history cannot be imported into Sql Monitor.

However, you can keep the 1.3 installation running in parallel to consult its history until it's no longer valuable. Naturally, you'd want to de-register the servers so it's not performing any monitoring.

Being able to import history from Sql Response would allow you to have everything in one place, but sadly the formats are wildly different as is the scope of what's collected and stored.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • In order to consolidate, should I then install 1.3 on the new box, move the alert history, install 2.1 and register the monitored servers with 2.1?

If so, how do I move the alert history form one collection agent to another?
  • Hi,

There's a knowledge base article which explains how to move the data files.

www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content?c=knowledgebase\SQL_Response\KB200811000321.htm&p=SQL Response

(please copy the link as the forum's parser doesn't like it)

Unfortunately, de-registering the servers prevents you from viewing the alerts. As a work around, you could run the 1.3 monitoring service as local service, which won't have the permissions needed to monitor.
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software