Need Monitoring Software ASAP, but 2.1 Will Not Cut It

linquelinque Posts: 31
edited January 29, 2011 5:47PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
In general, I like SQL Monitor 2.1, however, there are a couple issues that are preventing me from making a purchase for our production environment.

1 - I need to be alerted on transaction log size. SRP-3078

2 - I need to be alerted if monitoring of a server stops. SRP-3059

Any idea if/when these enhancements will make it into a release? I have been asked to look at other monitoring software that might already do these two things. I'm hoping you can do it quickly so that I can buy it.

Comments

• benreesbenrees Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    Hi there - both of these issues are on our plans for the next release (v2.2 - due out in the next few months), but I'm afraid that doesn't guarantee they will make it in to this version. We keep a constant eye on what people are requesting and adjust our priorities during the project according to that feedback.

Obviously your request here is an important vote for these two areas. In particular, the second request (alerting when monitoring stops) has been asked for by others and so is pretty certain to make it in to the 2.2 release.

Would a release in the next 3-4 months fit in with your timescales, or are you looking for something sooner than that?
  • benrees wrote:
    Hi there - both of these issues are on our plans for the next release (v2.2 - due out in the next few months)
    Good to hear!
    benrees wrote:
    Would a release in the next 3-4 months fit in with your timescales, or are you looking for something sooner than that?
    Unfortunately, no. We are hosting software for our clients, and need something sooner. I'm on your mailing list, so I'll keep tabs on SQL Monitor and re-evaluate in a year or so. You have done a great job with it, and I'm sure it will only get better, but I can't wait.
    Thanks for your response, and we appreciate the feedback - as with the original 2.0 project, what goes in to the product is driven by the DBAs out there, so this is really useful to help us drive the next release.

And glad that you generally like the product - were there any areas in particular that you found particularly useful? That we can build upon?
  • I'm trying to find something to hobble along until the next release, because I really like SQL Monitor.

The most useful feature to me is the ability to monitor it over the web. I can pull out my iPhone/iPad from wherever I am, VPN into the company, and pull up the web interface. I would love to see an iPhone/iPad SQL Monitor app that would let me turn on VPN without having to go into the iPhone settings.
    Thanks again for your feedback, Linque - I've also added in your comments regarding the iPad/iPhone app.
  • Well, I have found a temporary solution to monitoring the MDF/LDF files. The IT manager uses a server monitoring tool that I have access to. I can set alerts on these files if they reach a certain size. I have to set them up one-by-one, and it's kind of a hassle, but it will work until that feature is available in SQL Monitor.

I'm really not blowing smoke, but the more I use SQL Monitor, the more I like it. I spent about an hour Friday night just looking through the Analysis tab for my production server. All from the comfort of my living room using my wife's iPad (she wasn't home which made this possible). Which reminds me, I'm not able to scroll on the Description tab on the right side of the screen. For example, on the Analysis tab > Database > Transaction/sec you can see the beginning of the description, but it just cuts off the rest of it and you can't scroll using an iPad/iPhone. All I can read on my iPhone is this:
    Transactions/sec
    Number of transactions started for the database per second. Each data point shows the average number of transactions per second since the previous data point.

Equivalent PerfMon counter: SQLServer:Databases - Transactions/sec

Explanation: A transaction is one or more database operations combined into

Not a big issue, just thought I would bring it up.

Regarding the second issue I have about being alerted if monitoring of a server stops, I'm also relying on the other monitoring software to check the status of the SQL Server service, and of course whether the server itself is online.
    Hi Linque

I've not used an iPad much, but if it's the same as my iPhone, you can use two fingers to scroll the descriptive text on the right hand side. I.e. if you try to scroll the page upwards, but hold two fingers side-by-side on the description when scrolling, this should move this part only.

Hope that works!

Ben
  • benrees wrote:
    ...you can use two fingers to scroll the descriptive text on the right hand side...
    Duh, I didn't even think to do that. It works just fine.

SQL Monitor on an iPhone is great in a pinch, but having the big screen of the iPad is really nice. Tell your boss you need one for testing purposes.

Thanks!
  • Hi Linque,

I work in the DBA sales team here at Red Gate and I happen to know that we have some iPads left over from the iPad contest we recently ran. As a result we have a limited supply of those beautiful tablets that we are GIVING away for FREE to customers who purchase more than 10 licenses of SQL Monitor on one Invoice. This needs to be mentioned at the time of quoting with one of our sales reps, but I just thought it worth a mention on this forum chain.

Angus. :D
  • Angus C wrote:
    we are GIVING away for FREE to customers who purchase more than 10 licenses of SQL Monitor on one Invoice.

I love you, man. I will be purchasing 11 licenses today with any luck. It's in the final approval stage.
  • Woo hoo! 11 licenses purchased! Thanks for all your help!

The feedback on the forums it terrific.
  • Angus C wrote:
    Hi Linque,

I work in the DBA sales team here at Red Gate and I happen to know that we have some iPads left over from the iPad contest we recently ran. As a result we have a limited supply of those beautiful tablets that we are GIVING away for FREE to customers who purchase more than 10 licenses of SQL Monitor on one Invoice. This needs to be mentioned at the time of quoting with one of our sales reps, but I just thought it worth a mention on this forum chain.

Angus. :D

We purchased a 100 license package and didn't get anything like this :( We actually purchased the 100 licenses to get SQL Backup, SQL Monitor was just an added benefit.

We can't even use the product though because of all the bugs.

-jim