SQL Backup log files are not deleted

rbvdbergrbvdberg Posts: 14
edited December 31, 2010 4:44AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We use Redgate SQLBackup 6.4.0.56 on Windows 2003 clusters with SQL 2005 SP 3, both 64 bit. After the upgrade from version 4.6, the SQLBackup log files are no longer deleted following the backup. We use a stored proc to call the backup command for our normal backups. This worked fine before the upgrade, but after the update it stopped deleting the log files. When we do a manual backup, the log files are deleted as expected.
A little testing has shown that this is appears to be caused by a weak encryption password (error 462). Without a password, or with a strong password, log files do get deleted.
Can you confirm that this is the problem, and if so, if this problem is going to be fixed in a next version?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    By log files, do you mean the transaction log backup files, or the SQL Backup log files that logs the backup/restore activity? It sounds like the former, but I just want to confirm that.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hello Peter,

I mean the SQLBackup log files, not the transaction log files
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You are right, the log files don't get deleted when SQL Backup encounters an error or warning during the backup/restore process. Log files don't get deleted on errors/warnings in case users want to check the log files for previous backups/restores to compare against the current backup/restore that's now raising errors/warnings.

The check for short passwords was introduced in version 5. We could make an exception for warning 462, as it does not have any impact on whether old log files should get deleted. I have raised a bug report for this (ref. SB-4598), and it will be up to the product manager to decide if it will be added in the next release.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8