Migration SQL Toolkit 6 to SQL Comparisson SDK 8

ilyailya Posts: 19
edited December 23, 2010 7:05AM in SQL Comparison SDK Previous Versions
We use SQL Toolkit 6 now (with SQL Compare 6 and SQL Data Compare 6) to synchronize databases (structure and data).
Structure update from a snapshot, and the data update from a database backup.

To be able to synchronize also SQL 2008 databases, we want to migrate to SQL Comparison SDK 8.

Is the new SDK compatible with Toolkit 6? Or it has another functions, another structure etc, so that our code can not be reused with the Comparison SDK?

Comments

• SQL Toolkit was renamed to "SQL Comparison SDK" because of the confusion caused between the SQL Toolkit product and the SQL Toolbelt product.

They should be fully compatible as they are essentially the same product. You can think of them as either SQL Comparison SDK version 6 & 8 or SQL Toolkit version 6 & 8.
  • chrisk5 wrote:
    They should be fully compatible as they are essentially the same product. You can think of them as either SQL Comparison SDK version 6 & 8 or SQL Toolkit version 6 & 8.

Thank you for the answer.

Generally, the fact, that it is the same product, gives no guarantee, that some functions have not been changed/updated/ removed in the new version. That's why I ask here.

So, our code, working with vers. 6, should also work with SDK 8?
  • Yes it should, although it is true that there is no guarantee. If you do encounter any problems either refer to the forum posts or contact support@red-gate.com
  • Hello again, I've started to migrate our code to use the SDK 8.0.
    And by data compare with backup I get the Exception "Cannot load the Backup Reader dll!" (also in your sample project)
    Call stack:
    bei U.a()
    bei RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromBackup.BackupSetDatabase.GetBackupSets(IList`1 filePaths, IList`1 passwords)
    bei SQLDataCompareCodeSnippets.BackupComparisonExample.RunExample() in D:\Kuznetsov\Samples\Automating SQL Data Compare\C#\BackupComparisonExample.cs:Zeile 31.
    bei SQLDataCompareCodeSnippets.Program.Main() in D:\Kuznetsov\Samples\Automating SQL Data Compare\C#\Program.cs:Zeile 103.
    bei System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
    bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

The reference to the RedGate.BackupReader has been added (and if not, I would be not able to compile it)

Any Ideas?
  • The problem with the exception "Cannot load Backup Reader dll!" solved:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=12450
  • Good to hear that you have solved your problem.