Import exception reports?

Uniwares_ASUniwares_AS Posts: 168
edited December 20, 2010 8:48AM in SmartAssembly 5
How can I import exception reports into another machine when I had to deactivate SA on the creating one?
And how can I receive future exception reports when the creating machine is deactivated?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

You can move the SmartAssembly data files to the new computer after installing SmartAssembly on it. Just copy everything from %programdata%\red gate\smartassembly. The full story can be found in the product help. For instance there are other things you may need to do if you have a team of developers sharing the data.
  • Trying that now. But first: the %programdata%\red gate\smartassembly folder on my old machine is empty, all the files are instead in the program installation folder. This was a default installation, the maps path was never changed. This might be the result of upgrading from previous versions.

Tried, and not really working. When I try to open the saved exception reports (*.saencryptedreport) I get either "The report is not present in the selected database" followed by an exception or I get "The report is not associated with an valid project ID".

I didnt yet get any new reports to download, lets see how that will work out.
    Hello,

When SA was first created, it was pre-Vista, so it says the SA files are in the program files folder. Vista and 7 automatically redirect this to the programdata folder. Just to make sure, you are installing and overwriting the files? Plus, I think SA uses the SA assembly FullName as the basis for some sort of database access token, so the version of SA you have installed on the new computer will need to match the version on the old computer exactly.
  • I had upgraded the old machine to 5.5, which is whats running on the new one too.
    Though I did copy the files to the location of the existing database on the new machine, which was %programdata%... and no longer in programfiles.
  • I have the feeling that exception reports needs some rethinking how it works. It is really targeted to single-machine scenarios, with no recovery or backup functionality, though I am tempted to try using SQL as backend, which seems to offer a bit more freedom.
    You can use SQL Server instead and host the samap files on a share. That's how we use it.
  • Sure, I will give it a try, but for now it wont solve my problem with the reports from the other machine.