request for uptime or availability report

hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
Is there any way to get a uptime or availability report out of the system with the data we are collecting. I need a % uptime over a span of time.

example: server was up 99.8%. I know there are a lot of factors if something is available but more interested if the SQL service is down ( long the alert was active) would subtract from the uptime.

Any idea how to go about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi

There are several different uptime estimates that we could make:

1) Uptime of the machine (based on whether we could ping it)
    2) Uptime of the SQL instance (based on whether we could execute SQL)
    3) Uptime of the SQL instance (based on whether the service was running)

However, the estimate would only be valid if SQL Monitor was running successfully over the same time period. If SQL Monitor or the machine running SQL Monitor failed then the value would be incorrect.

If that is OK, we could suggest some SQL to calculate one or more of these estimates. Which would be most useful?

Thanks
    Ben
  • hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
    This is wonderful!

As a database administrator I would rather see Uptime based on the SQL instance. As far as either the (based on whether the service was running) or the (based on whether we could execute SQL), I quess either would be fine and which ever is easiest.

I nderstand about your statement: " If SQL Monitor or the machine running SQL Monitor failed then the value would be incorrect."

Thanks again.
    Ben C wrote:
    Hi

There are several different uptime estimates that we could make:

1) Uptime of the machine (based on whether we could ping it)
    2) Uptime of the SQL instance (based on whether we could execute SQL)
    3) Uptime of the SQL instance (based on whether the service was running)

However, the estimate would only be valid if SQL Monitor was running successfully over the same time period. If SQL Monitor or the machine running SQL Monitor failed then the value would be incorrect.

If that is OK, we could suggest some SQL to calculate one or more of these estimates. Which would be most useful?

Thanks
    Ben
  • The script turned out to be quite long. Please email me at ben.challenor@red-gate.com to get it.

Thanks
    Ben
  • hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
    Email on the way.
    Ben C wrote:
    The script turned out to be quite long. Please email me at ben.challenor@red-gate.com to get it.

Thanks
    Ben
  • Hi Ben,

Is there any chance the availability report is available in sql monitor 3.1?

I am in the process of looking for a monitoring tool that supports SLA reporting.

Thanks, Ron