Issue Monitoring Clustered Servers

cehottlecehottle Posts: 38
edited November 29, 2010 10:21AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I added one of our clustered instances to SQL Monitor and encontered a couple of issues. The SQL Server name is BRDvSVRSQL40. I entered that as the server name on Add SQL Servers To Monitor page, but it was added as BRDcSVRSQL40, which is the name of the Windows cluster. I also started to see these errors in the Event Log on the active node. I suspended monitoring for now. I have been monitoring all of our clustered instances using SQL Response for over a year.

SourceName: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
TimeGenerated: 11/23/2010 10:38:14 PM
Access to the Root\MSCluster namespace was denied because the namespace is marked with RequiresEncryption but the script or application attempted to connect to this namespace with an authentication level below Pkt_Privacy. Change the authentication level to Pkt_Privacy and run the script or application again.

Comments

• Hi,

You are right, we currently refer to all clusters by the cluster management virtual address not the SQL Instance virtual address. If you had two instances on that cluster, this would be the only name that would be relevant to both instances. If we used the SQL instance virtual address, we would have problems mapping multi instance clusters into the right hand side navigation tree and the Global Overview.

We realise that this isn't how most SQL Server DBAs are used to seeing clusters and we are planing to tidy this up, make it a little more intuitive and customisable in a future release.

I'm a bit perplexed by the error log entries you are seeing. All WMI connections made by SQL Monitor are using AuthenticationLevel.PacketPrivacy. Is the cluster on a different domain to the SQL Monitor Base Deployment?

--
    Daniel KJ
  • It is on the same domain. I currently monitor this clustered instance using SQL Response on a different monitoring server. The new monitoring server on which I have SQL Monitor installed is Windows Server 2008 R2.
  • Is the WMI problem intermittent or are you seeing it all the time?
  • I disabled the monitoring of the cluster as soon as I saw how it was presented in SQL Monitor. I don't want to see the Windows cluster and the nodes. I prefer to have it displayed as it is in SQL Response, which shows me the SQL Server instance. In this example, that would be BRDvSVRSQL40.